For small groups or individual students, these developmentally appropriate tasks assess studentsí understanding in the context of engaging activities.
We know that kindergartners and first graders have different developmental needs than older students. Thatís why our 124 CCR K-1 assessments are based on the observation of individual students and small groups.
These short formative assessments are not based on exposing student deficits, but rather on identifying where students are on a progression toward mastery.
CCR K-1 assessments
- Students use manipulatives and verbal explanations to demonstrate understanding, so they do not rely on academic skills that they have not had a chance to develop.
- Research-based learning progressions describe evidence for the earliest learning in each area and guidance about what students need to work on next.
- Embedded PD helps teachers to better understand how early learning builds a foundation for college and career readiness.
- These assessments are designed to blend in with classroom activities and can be incorporated into lesson planning.
Our 40 math assessments are based on learning progressions in five areas:
- Comparing Numbers
- Addition and Subtraction
Our 84 ELA assessments are text-centric and address five college- and career-ready strands:
- Reading Informational or Literary Texts
- Reading: Foundational Skills
- Speaking and Listening
Each assessment includes a detailed scoring guide for teachers. These scoring guides help teachers understand what students know in the context of the overall learning progressions.